A simple literacy center can have any of these components listed below:
- Big books, either class-made or bought
- Big Book Center poster –an area of focus
- An easel –for large group display
- Pointing devices, either teacher-made or bought
- Highlighter tape (or colored paper and ordinary tape)
- Chart paper and other materials used for re-writing texts
- Props used during shared reading
- Audio tapes and player
The key idea is that you can transform any corner into a literacy center.
I am sure that you have seen or heard about elaborate ones that require lots of space and an equal amount of materials that you cannot afford to buy. Well let's take a look at some literacy centers to see what they may look like on a low budget!!